Thing 4: Twitter, Facebook & Personal Learning Networks

I chose Thing 4 for my next exploration:  Twitter, Facebook and PLN’s as I am trying to set up a Twitter for my library and it is very slow.  I currently take an average of ten minutes per tweet (I think) and I’m still not sure I am doing it right!  I was excited to see this as an offering as I want to show parents and students what is going on in our library and am not really sure what the best way to do that is.
….ooh already distracted, clicked on the Librarians Without Borders google community!   How did I now know about this???
I appreciated the articles on the PLNS.  As part of my library classes we looked at these, but looking back I realize I clicked willy-nilly and ended up being overwhelmed.  The tips provided helped me to focus on the PLN’s I really wanted to be part of and I find I am able to use them and get more from them then before.
 One of my favorite quotes was from the article where 5 educators talked about how PLN’s help them and Lisa Dabbs said:

Lisa Dabbs: In traditional PD it's often the case that an educator has no choice over the topic or the type of content shared. A PLN is more like a modern, 21st-century teacher's lounge. A place where ideas can be shared, exchanged, talked about, and transformed. Ideally, a safe place where questions can be presented without judgment. A PLN is a place where an educator at any level can direct and guide their own learning. They can be their own seeker of knowledge.
This is so true!  I love the thought of the teacher lounge and us all sharing ideas that we are passionate about.

In reading the articles about Facebook I am again reminded of how fast technology moves and changes.  The point made in 2015 about how well Facebook can connect a teacher and classroom is now done more privately with Google Classroom and other apps within the suite and I know the more teen friendly Snapchat and Instagram have become huge.  It also reminded me of a post I saw recently on Facebook (photo below.) The post was meant to show how much students are interrupted in a 40 minute period, but I was interested to see the different social medias being used.   The amount of Twitter surprised me and I would like to see what the "other" was.

Vicki Davis' Guidebook For Social Media in the Classroom is an excellent resource for every teacher to read and keep handy.  I can see how it would be helpful to show any parent or administrator that would have concerns or questions.

THANK YOU for the Twitter tips, explaining the # and the recommendations for who to follow.  I have been lurking right now to try and build my confidence with my tweets.

Thing 4 has inspired 2 goals for me:  First, I have been regularly reading the tech blogs recommended and find them really inspiring.  It helped to have a trust source give me some tips on who to follow.  

My second goal is to be more consistent with my tweeting.  I have posted my no photo list and familiarized my aide with it as well and am going to try for at least on tweet a day.  We have dedicated one of the ipads as the library photo/tweet device which has helped.  I am keeping a log of which class I have tweeted with to try and be sure I don't leave anyone out and am consistent throughout the school.   (Still working on how to embed it onto my website...baby steps!) 

Comments

  1. Terrific! Glad you're testing out using twitter to post your classroom activities. And you're finding other educators to learn from as well. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 6: Digital Storytelling

Final Reflection

Thing 11: Digital Tattoo & Digital Citizenship